Winter has set in and the air is super dry; it has made me think about my skincare routine. I’ve whipped out my humidifier from the attic and upped my lip balm usage. My skincare routine hasn’t changed much throughout the years because once I find a product that works for me, I stick with it. The only variable in my skincare routine is moisturizer. Trust me, I use it! However, I just haven’t found one that I’ve used year after year. In the summer, I use a lighter moisturizer (usually with SPF) and in the winter, I use a heavy, thick one to combat the cold, drying air. Since I don’t have one that I’ve used for longer than a year, I excluded it from my roundup. It is extremely important though, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!!! Skincare should be simple and easy. If it becomes too complicated, you’re not going to want to go through the process everyday.
- Clinique All About Clean Cleanser – I originally tried this cleanser because it was included in the “free with $35 dollar purchase” from Clinique. I realized after using it for a few weeks that my skin broke out less, felt cleaner, and it removed makeup (including my mascara) so I bought a large version. A huge bonus, a container last for months. That’s the great thing about Clinique products, a little goes a long way. I think I buy 2 a year, if that. It probably works out to 1.5 tubes a year. The cost upfront is more expensive than drugstore brands, but in the long run, saves you money. With this cleanser, you only need a dime size to lather up.
- The Ordinary Exfoliating Peeling Solution – The first time I used this, I laughed so hard when I walked out of the bathroom and saw my husband’s face. It’s red, so it looks like you smeared blood on your face. This stuff is amazing though. I use it whenever my face looks dull, about twice a month. It takes 10 minutes and your face looks refreshed. It really smooths my forehead wrinkles and removes any lingering dead skin. Also, you can’t beat the price.
- Nalgene – Technically, this isn’t skincare, but my Nalgene is always with me. I drink 3+ of these a day. Water is so important to overall health, and helps your skin glow. My family can attest, when I am thirsty, I am grumpy. I am a plain, room temperature water drinker. Because it is always with me, I drink it more and don’t have to worry about drinking a certain amount a day. Those big jugs that have your day’s worth of water are great, but they are huge! You’re not going to want to lug those around. I like the 32 oz Nalgene. They’re a good size so I’m not filling it up constantly, but I also don’t mind carrying it around.
- Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion – People concentrate on their face so much, but they give away their age with their hands. Every night before bed I put this lotion on my hands. I started it back when I worked for a plasma company because I had to wear gloves all day. Gloves just wreck your hands and every time I changed my gloves I had to use hand sanitizer. This was a savior then and a savior now. It’s especially important in the winter since your hands can get chapped easily.
- Clinique Repairwear Eye Cream – I started using eye cream when I was 24. I had ordered some new makeup from Clinique, and this was accidentally included in the package. I called Clinique and they told me to keep it. I fell in love with it right away. The skin around your eyes is very thin, sensitive, and ages quickly. This one has the right consistency, thick but not too thick. My skin feels moisturized but not oily. Again, a little goes a long way. It is pricey, but I buy 1-2 a year and always wait until they offer the free gift or 30% off sale. Clinique has great deals and I recommend signing up for their emails so you know when to purchase at the best price.
- Garden of Life Collagen Peptides – When I was 29, I asked my dermatologist if collagen was actually helpful. This was around the time that Whole 30 was really popular and it felt like collagen was being pushed everywhere. She said it did, so I tried a few different brands and landed on this one. I add it to my morning coffee and can hardly taste it. It does alter the flavor a little, but not drastically. I do admit though, my husband absolutely detests it. I don’t recommend ordering it from Amazon, I’ve gotten a few bad batches. I don’t know if it sits on the shelves too long or the storage methods are off, but I typically buy it from Whole Foods and haven’t had a problem. I’ve stopped taking it a few times and noticed a huge difference in my skin. As soon as I start taking it again, my skin feels more elastic and plump. Now I keep it as a normal part of my routine.
I use these products every day and am religious about washing my face morning and night. I like to keep my routines simple and get a lot of bang for my buck. I’ve tried hundreds of products, but these are the ones that I feel really work for me. At night, going through my skincare routine and brushing my teeth is how I wind down from the day and trigger my body into “bedtime” mode. I swear it’s why I fall asleep so quickly and so well. And don’t forget, what you put into your body is also important. I can’t stress this enough: water, water, water.